Women opt for medical abortion to end an unplanned pregnancy that is within 9 weeks of gestation. It takes about 24 to 72 hours for the uterus to empty the products of conception after completing the pregnancy pills dose. Recovery from the procedure is quick but depends on the diet you take. Along with food items, beverages form an essential part to have good health. Thus, in the post, we will take you through beverages to take and avoid during and following a pregnancy termination.
Beverages to Have During and After Getting an Abortion
Here are the beverages you must include in your diet at the time of abortion and after that for a speedy recovery:
1. Beet Juice
Heavy vaginal bleeding happens after the use of pregnancy pills in the early first trimester. To refill the lost iron and red blood cells, you must add beetroot juice to your diet. It has magnesium, nitrates, and folic acid, and upscales the hemoglobin levels. Beet juice can manage blood pressure and increase stamina. Thus, on abortion beetroot juice can get your physical health back in place.
2. Carrot Juice
Carrot stew or juice will provide our body with vitamin C and potassium. It is a power source of provitamin A as well. The vegetable improves eye health, boosts immunity, and has anti-cancer properties. It is good for blood sugar management, heart, and skin health, along with the promotion of liver health.
3. Lemon Water
Not just for immunity, but lemon water can manage weight as well. Add some amount of honey in warm lemon water. It can drain toxins from your body and give you vitamin C. Also, it is a flavorful light drink that you can take on an empty stomach, or before exercise. Once you resume exercises after medical abortion, lemon water can truly benefit you.
4. Pomegranate Juice
The nutritious drink, pomegranate juice helps to repair and protect cells. The beverage is one of the top-most choices among those suffering from arthritis. It safeguards the cells from damage because of antioxidant and anti-inflammation effects. Why it is suggested after pregnancy termination is because it provides red blood cells and vitamin C to boost the immune system.
5. Tender Coconut Water
Coconut water is a refreshing drink and has a lot of potassium. Use of pregnancy pills may lead to a temporary side effect – diarrhea. And this can cause water loss from the body. To maintain a hydration level and replenish minerals, tender coconut water is an excellent option.
6. Hot Chocolate
Treat yourself to a beverage to uplift your mood. Hot chocolate can lift your spirits after ending a pregnancy. When cacao is mixed with milk, it is a beautiful source of vitamin D and calcium. Thus, it is preferable for bone health. Hot chocolate is also an antioxidant drink. But you must have it in moderation.
As a wellness product, Kombucha has several health benefits. It is a fermented food, whose beverage contains good bacteria for the guts. Thus, it acts as a probiotic and aids digestion. It also helps the body to absorb minerals and vitamins. Following a medical abortion, gastric troubles may occur. Thus, Kombucha juice is something to consider.
8. Orange or Cranberry Juice
Fresh orange juice is a source of vitamin C. It has thiamin, vitamin D, and calcium when fortified. As a healthy beverage, even cranberry juice prevents cardiovascular disease. It is a tangy juice like orange and combats urinary tract issues and some forms of cancer.
9. Green Tea
Green tea reduces the blood sugar level from peaking after a meal. Thus, it can keep type 2 diabetes in check. It has a high level of polyphenols, which protects you from breast cancer, and other types of cancers. Not to mention, it is also an antioxidant to help you lose fasts and a source to hydrate the body.
Beverages to Avoid or Limit Intake Following an Abortion
Here are a few beverages you must not have or take in only a restricted amount after ending the pregnancy:
1. Soft Drinks: These are loaded with sugar and high calories. It can cause health issues if taken regularly. Soft drinks also affect the enamel and are bad for teeth.
2. Energy Drinks: They come with big doses of caffeine, B vitamins, and ingredients such as ginseng and guarana. A medium can of energy drink equals 4 to 5 cups of coffee and can adversely affect digestion, and sleep, and result in irregular heartbeats.
3. Alcohol: Hot drinks or alcohol affect the nervous system and make blood thinner. Try to avoid it mandatorily during a medical abortion and for a few weeks after the procedure.
4. Diet Soda: Though low in calories, diet sodas are risk factors to type 2 diabetes and heart problems. The artificial sweeteners in it. This can cause weight gain by making you crave more calories and provoking you to make unhealthy dietary choices.
5. Caffeinated Drinks: While a cup of coffee or tea is not harmful to health, taking too many caffeinated beverages can bring several health issues associated with mental health and overall physical well-being.
Recovery from abortion can happen smoothly if you make the right choices of meals and beverages you drink. The above list will assist you in knowing about beverages to take during and after medical abortion better.