The answer to this question may vary from person to person. One can say, they experienced severe pain and discomfort while getting an abortion, while for some, it was bearable. Research shows that women who got their abortion done within the first trimester of their pregnancy, tend to experience it less painful than those who get it done in the second trimester.
If you choose to do medical abortion, which is one of the secure ways to do abortion, you consume safe pills like Mifepristone and Misoprostol. You can buy these pills at any online pharmacy or local store. Mifepristone is medication which is taken first. It is taken orally.
While most women prefer to consume misoprostol vaginally, some women take them buccally, or sublingually. These pills block the pregnancy hormone called progesterone, also they make your uterine contract, which may lead to heavier cramps having larger clots than usual. So you need to keep more pads with you. The heavy cramps may slow down after a few days, still, you may experience bleeding or spots for a few weeks.
Following are some major role players in deciding the amount of discomfort during an abortion:
- Your overall fitness
- How many days passed after conception
- Your general pain forbearance
- The type of abortion you choose to have
- Your mental and emotional state
You may also have to suffer from following side effects during an abortion:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Mild fever
- Extreme Weakness and dizziness
- Breast tenderness
- Foul smelling vaginal discharge
Also, keep in mind that side effects of medical abortion are temporary and do not affect the future pregnancy. Also, they do not make any harm to the fertility of the woman consuming these pills. You can soothe the abortion pain a bit if you follow the following instructions:
- Drink ample amount of water, especially in case you are experiencing diarrhea or vomiting.
- Eat light food. Avoid spicy and oily food.
- If you are feeling tensed and emotionally weak, try doing meditation. It will help in soothing your mind.
- Avoid smoking and drinking during the abortion process.
- Gently rub your abdomen to get relief from the pain of cramps.
- Take complete rest for a couple of days at least.
Don’t worry because the impact of these side effects will fade eventually after the completion of the abortion process. An abortion pill pack consists of some other pills also which will control these side effects of mifepristone and misoprostol. These pills are as follows:
- Ondansetron or Zofran: Used to prevent nausea or vomiting during abortion with a small dosage of 4 mg.
- Flexon – MR: Used to get relief from inflammation as well as pain. Used to treat severe pain occurring during cramps in abortion. Abdomen pain due to uterine contractions can be soothed with 250mg of Flexon-MR.
- Ethamsylate: Functioning as a hemostatic mediator, Ethamsylate reduces the excessive blood loss occurring due to abortion. It stops intense bleeding from the capillaries.